I’ve been on this obsession to cook bread lately. When I moved into our new place a little over a month ago, the previous tenants had left a bread dish in the cupboard. Being still a young college student without many cooking utensils and baking equipment in the kitchen, I’ve never owned a “fancy” bread dish. Well I took advantage of someone’s trash and made it my treasure. Yes, if you’re wondering, I washed it first! 😛
I’ve utilized the bread dish by making several loaves of the best banana bread ever, and by request from a room-mate zucchini bread came to life. To be honest, I had never had zucchini bread. Do not ask me why, but zucchini + bread just did not seem like a compatible match to me. But, my room-mate insisted so of course, I gave in.
So, I browsed through a couple of recipes online until I stumbled upon a Lemon – Zucchini Bread. YEah, that sounds amazing doesn’t it? I was like…fresh? YEAH! Lemons = Fresh. The perfect way to spice up a traditional Zucchini bread. This also gave me the opportunity to let me rely on natural ingredients for fantastic flavor. There is so much flavor in lemons. The juice..and the ZEST! Zesting a lemon can be a wonderful experience. Not only does it bring beautiful bright color to your dish but it also brings a pleasant lemony aroma to your kitchen that is beyond refreshing.
Overall, this is a recipe I am so glad that I stumbled upon and will definitely be making it in the future. Oh, did I fail to mention it comes with a lemon glaze that is the perfect icing on the cake to this wonderful dish? 😉 Enjoy.
- 2 Cups – Flour
- 2 Tsp – Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp – Salt
- 2 – Eggs
- 1/2 Cup – Vegetable Oil
- 2/3 Cup – Sugar
- 1/2 Cup – Buttermilk
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 Cup – Grated Zucchini
- For the Glaze: Juice of 1 Lemon/ 1 Cup – Powdered Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 Degrees & Grease your bread pan.
- In a large bowl, mix your flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a medium bowl, beat 2 eggs then add in oil and sugar. Blend well.
- Add in your buttermilk, lemon juice, lemon zest. Blend well.
- Then fold in your grated zucchini!
- Add this mixture to your dry ingredients and mix well, but don’t over-mix!
- Pour your batter into the bread pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- While the bread is cooling, make your glaze.
- In a small bowl, mix the juice of 1 lemon with a cup of powdered sugar.
- Let the glaze set and then serve.