Apple Gorgonzola Salad, easily one of the best dishes I have ever eaten. I recently ordered this dish at Italian restaurant Buca Di Beppo in Los Angeles.. oh! Was I pleasantly surprised by this delicious creation! There is an explosion of flavors with every bite ranging from apples, berries, cheese, nuts, and zesty dressing.
As soon as I experienced this wonderful salad I knew I wanted to cook it up at home and add my own little twists to it. Which is exactly what I did! I made several variations to the original recipe to simplify it. For example, I substituted Granny Smith for Fuji Apples (I feel they have much sweeter notes and have a more exotic taste). I also simplified the somewhat complicated dressing included with the dish for a simple Italian Dressing straight off the shelf from the supermarket (this dish might also be good with a Raspberry Vinaigrette!). The other alteration I made was with the nuts, which I quickly roasted and candied instead of using their somewhat complicating spicing recipe.
I guess you can say that I somewhat simplified Buca Di Beppo’s recipe for Apple Gorgonzola Salad, but included the same, if not better, great taste! Let me tell you, the substitution of Fuji Apples and candied walnuts really added something to the taste of the salad. I strongly recommend anyone to skip out on Buca Di Beppo and make this delicious dish in the comfort of your own home with this simplified recipe!
- 1 – Fuji Apple (Or apple of your choice)
- 3/4 cup – Walnuts (candied..we will get to this process in a bit)
- 3 Tbs – Gorgonzola Cheese
- 3 Tbs – Dried Cranberries
- Romaine Lettuce (amount desired)
- Italian Dressing (amount desired)
First, you need to candy your walnuts! Now..I may sound a little lame here but I’ve never candied nuts before. I also didn’t know how easy the process was! Come on..it’s not like I’m Paula Deen!?
But seriously, all you need is the nuts of your choice and sugar. Yep, that’s it.
Here is the simple process to Candy Walnuts (which I’m sure many of you already know, this is just for my fellow blondes out there ;):
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Throw about 1-1/2 cups of nuts onto a baking sheet and cook for about 5 minutes (do not let them burn).
- Let them cool for a bit.
- Heat about 1/3 cup sugar over medium heat until melted and golden brown.
- Throw your nuts into the melted sugar and cover all of the walnuts.
- Remove from heat and back onto baking sheet then begin breaking apart nuts with a spoon.
Now let’s get back to the salad!
- Chop your lettuce, apple, and crumble your cheese (if needed).
- Throw all ingredients into a large bowl.
- Toss with dressing.
- Garnish with remaining apples, cranberries, cheese, and walnuts.
So so good! Btw, doesn't this picture remind you of Twilight? Hehe..
This is another typical “Randy Recipe” ..it’s quick to make and really tasty. If you are cooking Mexican and need a quick side dish or you need a quick dish to bring to a party, this Black Bean Salad will be perfect for you. It also works great as an appetizer for any meal! Also, it only takes minutes to make!
Black Bean Salad:
- 1 can – Black Beans (Rinsed/Drained)
- 1 can – Sweet Corn
- 1/2 – Red Bell Pepper (Chopped)
- 1/2 – Red Onion (Chopped)
- 1 1/2 tsp – Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp – Hot Sauce
- 1 – Lime (Juiced)
- 2 tbs – Vegetable Oil or Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- For extra flavor, add a few chopped leaves of cilantro.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Let set for 15 minutes for flavors to combine.
My next recipe is for a quick appetizer and another recipe I found on Pinterest, but added my own little twist. Hope you like 😉
Croissant Pizza Rolls:
- 4 Pieces – String Cheese (Cut in Halves)
- 1 package – Croissants (8)
- 1 package – Pepperoni
- 1 tsp – Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp – Garlic Salt
- Preheat oven to 375 Degrees.
- Unroll croissant rolls flat on baking sheet.
- Place 5-7 pepperoni’s on large end of croissant.
- Place cheese on small end and roll in from small end.
- Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and Garlic Salt.
- Cook for about 10 to 12 minutes.
Here is another official Lacey & Randy Project! This is Lacey’s recipe for Mozzarella Sticks and I thought it would be a great addition to my blog. Mozzarella Sticks are so delicious, everyone knows this. The problem is, you do not get much for the price you pay for them. Well, here my friends is a solution! This recipe is not only simple, but very inexpensive and it makes 24 sticks! Talk about a bang for your buck ;D Enjoy!!
Homemade Mozzarella Sticks:
- 4 – Large Eggs
- 3/4 cup – Flour
- 12 – String Cheese Sticks (Cut in halves to make 24)
- 1 1/2 cup – Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 tsp – Salt
- 4 tsp – Italian Seasoning
- Pepper to taste
- Vegetable Oil for Frying
- Cut String Cheese Sticks in halves (to make 24).
- Put flour and breadcrumbs in separate bowls.
- Add Italian Seasoning, salt and pepper to breadcrumbs (mix well).
- Drop piece of cheese into flour until well covered. Shake off excess flour then dip into egg before dipping into breadcrumbs. Coat well, then dip back into egg and once again into bread crumbs (2nd time, coat completely).
- Place sticks in freezer for 2 hours.
- Heat oil to about 350 degrees and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes on each side.
With my next recipe, I really wanted to spice up my content of food. So, I next made a ‘7 Layer Dip’ but added my own little spin to it. This dip is so good because it has so many different types of dips but all thrown together under layers of each other. I’ve seen these dips made in several different ways, but mine includes: Beans (refried & black), Salsa, Guacamole, Sour Cream, Lettuce, Cheese…and my add on, chicken (I grilled up some chicken to make it a little more filling).
- 1 can – Black Beans
- 1 can – Refried Beans
- Cheese – Desired Amount
- 1 package – Taco Seasoning
- 1 container – Guacamole
- 1 container – Salsa
- 1 container – Sour Cream
- 1 half – Chopped Tomato
- 1/3 cup – Cilantro
- 1/3 cup – Jalapenos
- Lettuce – Amount Desired
- 1 – Lime
- 2 – Chicken Breasts (Chopped/Cooked)
- Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees.
- Mix together beans (refried/black) and taco seasoning.
- Put beans in dish.
- Add small layer of cheese & cook for 5-7 minutes (just to warm up).
- Let cool for 15 minutes, then add other ingredients.
- My Order: 1. Beans 2. Chicken 3. Salsa 4. Guacamole 5. Sour Cream 6. Lettuce 7. Chopped Jala., tomatos, cilantro, lime, & Cheese.
- Eat with chips and store in fridge.
Hope you Enjoy!
So I’m just going to be honest here..I make the best Jalapeno Poppers, like ever. I don’t add any extra
crap either, it’s a basic easy recipe but ohh so good.
Randy’s Jalapeno Poppers:
Here's what you will need.
- 10/15 – Jalapeno Peppers
- 8oz package – Cream Cheese
- 1 package – Bacon
- 1/2 cup – Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- Jalapenos – Cut of tops, then cut in halves.
- With a spoon, remove all seeds and insides of pepper.
- Fill inside of jalapeno with cream cheese and sprinkle cheddar cheese.
- Cut bacon in halves then wrap about jalapenos.
- Put in oven for 23-25 minutes (or until bacon looks done).
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes…then enjoy!
Posting my first recipe…So exciting!
I’m sure everyone has been to Red Lobster and had the most delicious biscuits of your life.
Well, I made them last night and it turns out…they are fun and easy to make!
Here is what you will need:
- 2 1/2 cup – Bisquick Baking Mix
- 3/4 cup – Milk
- 4 tablespoon – Cold Butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/4 teaspoon – Garlic Powder
- 1 cup – Grated Cheddar Cheese (Heaping Cup)
Brush on top with glaze:
- 2 teaspoon – Melted Butter
- 1/4 teaspoon – Dried Parsley (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon – Garlic Powder
- 1 pinch – Salt
Serves 12, makes 1 dozen biscuits:
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine Bisquick with Cold Butter in bowl with fork.
- Then add cheese, milk, and garlic (mix by hand until combined).
- Drop 1/4 cup portions of dough onto un-greased pan.
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes, or until tops of biscuits turn light brown.
- Drizzle biscuits with glaze